Hey, we know moving is stressful, but we’ve got you covered! To help you get through this as easily as possible, we’ve created this moving checklist to help keep you organized before and during your move.
8 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Get estimates from companies to help with your move, such as:
- Professional movers
- Truck rentals for a DIY move
Create a binder for all your moving-related documents.
- Gather important information and documents, including: Moving company estimates, new lease agreement, birth certificates and other important paperwork you want to keep handy.
- For digital files, creating a dedicated “Moving” file/folder on Google Drive, for example, helps you stay organized too.
Organize school records.
- If you have children, contact the new school district and gather information on the new school. Arrange to have their records transferred after the move. (Don’t forget about shot records or physical exams needed for admission into schools.)
6 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Start gathering boxes.
- Ask friends and family for extra boxes. You can also get boxes from retailers such as supermarkets and liquor stores.
- Use this moving calculator to estimate how many boxes you might need: http://hdmoving.com/
5 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Sell. Donate. Dispose.
- Start gathering items you aren’t taking with you on the move. Find a local place to donate items, sell through social networks or dispose of items.
4 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Select moving company or reserve truck.
- Make the final preparations for your moving company or rental truck. Most companies require a deposit to reserve.
Let the packing begin!
- Start with things you don’t use often and won’t need before the move, such as seasonal items, books, etc.
- Label each box as you pack them, including what’s inside and what room it goes to in your new house.
- Separate valuables such as jewelry and plan to move these yourself.
- Packing at least a little bit every day will help avoid a massive rush right before moving day.
3 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Cancel/transfer/set up utilities.
- Contact your current utility providers and confirm the days they will be disconnected.
- Set up utilities for your new home (electric/water/gas, Internet/cable/phone)
2 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE IN:
Confirm your rental truck or moving service.
- Call to make sure you are all set for moving day
Arrange for time off from work.
Change your address.
- Use the online form (USPS Change of Address Form) or head to the post office to fill out a physical form.
- Also notify other businesses/providers, such as:
- Banks/loan providers
- Credit card companies
- Doctor’s offices
- Insurance providers
1 WEEK BEFORE MOVE IN:
Begin packing a convenience box.
- Pack a box to easily locate items you need for the first day at your new home: Tissues, toilet tissue, paper plates, paper towels, soap, medicines, phone chargers, etc.
- This will be the last thing loaded on the moving truck or your vehicle…and the first thing that gets unloaded at your new place.
Get familiar with your new neighborhood/area.
- Find nearby supermarkets/stores, hospitals, veterinarians, restaurants, etc.
And then you’re on your way. Just remember, FirstKey Homes is always just a call or a click away after your move…for maintenance repairs, questions about rent, etc. Contact Us if you have any questions!
You can do this…good luck!